lunes, 5 de noviembre de 2012

Let’s give Heinrichs a Ferrari



In chapter 13 Heinrichs focuses on syllogisms, he says that in the philosophical way they are truly boring and totally “useless in day-to-day conversations”(123). When he starts saying that philosophy is boring I was like “hey back off there man, you don’t know what you are talking about.” I get really personal when it comes to philosophy because it is my favorite class. I want to study something that has to do with that so I don’t really like when people say it is boring. It totally  isn’t.

There are different kinds of syllogisms in which you use logos to use logic, that doesn’t make sense at first, but it will. Logos takes a big part in this chapter and Heinrichs explains how you can use facts to get people to do what you want. I really liked the “if-then” theory, sometimes it won’t get you anywhere because it states the obvious, “Even the Greeks found syllogisms boring, because the middle line tends to be painfully obvious”(125). Sometimes it really does make a lot of sense.

If moms go for good grades and
If you go for being smart
Then study hard and do your homework (or get a tutor).

Enthymeme. “You believe this, so you should do that”(130). Lets leave out all that hinders in the sentence and let’s just stay with what is really important.

Mom’s go for good grades
You should get a tutor.

You know, there are really a lot of techiniques to argue. You apply them everyday, you just don’t notice and don’t know until you read this book. You can use them with anything.
I like the fact, comparison, and story. And using them all at once is even more effective.
We should use all three to persuade my mom to go with me to the Lady Gaga concert.

Me: You want to be a cool and modern mom right? Then you should totally go with me to the Lady Gaga concert.

Fact: She is the number one pop star right now and it is the only time she is going to come to Colombia.

Comparison: Do you prefer to stay at home like you do every other night? I don’t think so.

Story: One of my friends once went to a concert without her mom and they didn’t let her in. She lost all the money she had spent on her ticket and she had to go back home.

I think this would work with my mom! Thank you Aristotle once again! 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario