domingo, 28 de octubre de 2012

I'm Interested In Disinterest



Every time I continue reading this book I get more and more new ideas of how to manipulate my parents very discreetly and “disinterestly” to give me the things I want.  You have to make it their interest to give you whatever it is you want, and not vice versa. You have to make them think it’s for their good and not your personal.
When you are up to something, you have to “make it seem you have no tricks”(75). You have to be really sneaky about everything and not let them notice what is behind all of that. Just be genuine, (Pause, NOT.)

Dubilatio, oh the romans, they always knew about everything, even one of the early chief rhetoricians, Quintilian knew about rhetoric. “Pretending to be uncertain on how to begin or proceed with his speech” (75)

Abraham Lincoln even used this Dubilatio technique in his campaign, he made it seem like he wasn’t prepared and when he gave his speech in New York he announced that what he was about to say was “nothing new”(76). “Absolutely brilliant”(76). This way, he lowered the audience’s previous expectations about the speech and completely surprised them later.

I know understand how emotions work, people tend to make connections with the “clumsy”(76) speakers and sympathize.
This man really was a genius, more than my mother, he knew exactly how to work with people, no wonder Heinrichs talks about him so much, and he really is worth spending paper on. He was able to make the audience trust him and let the audience know he was being very sincere, and then he would show them that he was really intelligent and that he knew a lot about the country.

Ethos goes way back , even Marie Antoinette used it with her famous frase of “let them eat cake” clearly, didn’t work out so much for her because shw was later guillotined, not as smart as Lincoln I would say, and I’m sure I have people who agree with me too.

Also, you have to make the audience think that you are “disinterested” as another genius of rhetoric Aristotle said. This way, you will be “the most believable”(78). 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario