lunes, 22 de octubre de 2012

“Let’s airbrush History” This Means War




Wow! This really means war, I never thought that a presidential debate from a country I don’t live in would be so interesting. I don’t know much about foreign policy so throughout the debate I wasn’t really looking to understand what it really was, but I was in fact looking at the reactions of the presidents!

(I remember when Obama was elected as president; we all went to the high school gym to watch the ceremony.)

United States is one of the most if not the most, powerful countries in the world; this is why the person who is going to lead this country has to be a person who is going to be capable of taking on one of the hardest positions in the world. And doing it right! The president of the United States is one of the most influential people in world politics so it is vital for him to be able to assume this role with responsibility since his actions are going to affect the world order.

Obama says, “the world needs a strong America” he knows that this will move a lot of emotions inside every Americans mind since there is such a feeling of  american exceptionalism. This is why he leads such and interesting debate, he wants to win over the people and he wants to win the trust of new followers and regain the trust of those who voted for him in the Last election. if Obama is known for something it is his charisma, but this time the stakes are so high that he needs far more than just a good and prepared speech to win the elections.

They are attacking each other constantly and interrupting themselves, they talk over each other and sometimes they don’t respect what the other one is trying to say. Even if Romney says that “attacking him wont help the country with jobs.” In some points of the debate I would never believe that these two adult men are candidates. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh, but that’s how I felt as I watched the debate. I think that more than just showing what their plans are going to be and trying to sell this to the public, their strategy is to attack and destroy the other opponents campaign so that the only option is for people to vote for them.

One of the things that really surprised me and made me doubt the professionalism of the debate is when Romney used “Obama Bin Laden” when he was in fact talking about Osama Bin Laden (slight confusion right there). We are all humans, and we make mistakes, but this is not a mistake a potential president should make. That’s what I heard at least.

I thought it was interesting how they were both being sarcastic, lets start with Obama, one of my personal favorites is when he says to Romney that the  “cold war has been over for 20 years” and that he doesn’t understand why Romney would say that Russia is their biggest threat. Romney then says that he doesn’t recall ever saying that… Who do we believe?

We hear Romney attacking Obama permanently and reminding him of his past mistakes but we don’t hear plans. But wait. We do, at least I heard it once, he says that he has a 5 step plan to create 12 million jobs, and I like to talk about Romney positively, for once, because he said that Latin America has a lot of opportunities!

Ahhh Education, they do talk about education, yay! Obama points out that Romney said that class sizes don’t really make a difference, but that they actually do!

They start to get personal when they talk about China, Romney says that China is stealing all of out jobs, but at the same time, Obama says that Romney has been involved in business’s that give jobs overseas.
What is true and what isn’t? Who should I believe when they say “What the President just said is not true.”
I think Romney should start apologizing for saying that Obama apologized around the world. This is one thing that confused me throught the debate, even if I was lenient to Obama I didn’t really know who to believe.

It is evident that Obama has much more experience with Foreign policy, and in general I think he will make a better President than Romney would, but that is just me.
Besides, Obama's closing statement was far more touching than Romneys, he totally used pathos! 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario